With Only 13 Seconds Left In Game, Bowling Green Pulls Out The Win


Bowling Green School hosted the first home game of the 2019 football season last Friday. After opening the season with a 20-0 win over Cathedral High School on the road, the Bucs were looking to win their second game of the season against the Centreville Academy Tigers.
The school was also hosting the first major event for its 50th anniversary. The game would be played in front of a huge crowd that included former students, teachers, board members and others affiliated with Bowling Green over the last 50 years. Memorabilia from all years was on display in the school's Sports Complex along with plenty of food for postgame festivities.
Centreville looked to spoil the occasion with a win over the Bucs. The Tigers ground game allowed them to keep the Buccaneers offense on the sidelines as they controlled the time of possession in the first half and for most of the game. Centreville threatened to score twice in the second quarter when their offense reached inside the BGS 5 yard line and again inside the 15. The Buccaneers defense held the Tigers out of the end zone each time and the teams were scoreless at the half.
Centreville was finally able to reach the end zone in the third quarter after a long drive resulted in a short touchdown run. The two point conversion failed and the Tigers took a 6-0 lead into the fourth quarter.
The Buccaneers offense was finally able to put together a drive and reached the end zone on a touchdown run from running back Wayne Ray. Quarterback Rashaan Duke connected with Cade Knight on the two point conversion to give the Bucs an 8-6 lead.
With less than two minutes left in the game, Centreville attempted a pass that was tipped by a Bowling Green defender. The pass fell into the arms of a Tigers receiver who raced 55 yards for a go-ahead touchdown. The two point conversion was unsuccessful but the Tigers led 12-8.
With 1:13 remaining in the game, Duke connected with Knight for a long gain into Centreville territory. Three plays later the Bucs reached the Tigers 10 yard line. After a penalty moved Bowling Green back to the 15 yard line, three passes into the end zone fell incomplete. On fourth and 15, Duke connected with Knight for a touchdown with 13 seconds left in the game. The two point conversion failed, but Bowling Green took their first lead of the game at 14-8.
Centreville was unable to score and the clock ran out. Bowling Green moved to 2-0 on the season. The Bucs travel to Liberty, Mississippi this Friday to face Amite School Center.