GRETNA, La. (AP) — A man whose 2018 conviction in a triple killing was thrown out because it resulted from a 10-2 verdict has been convicted again — this time by a unanimous jury — the Jefferson Parish District Attorney's Office said Monday.
Corey Woods, 37, of Metairie now faces life in prison for the deaths of two adults and a 16-year-old in 2017. The victims were shot as they sat in a car with Woods in an east Jefferson Parish neighborhood.
Prosecutors said one victim, a 25-year-old man, was the target. His teenage sister and his 24-year-old girlfriend were killed to eliminate witnesses, prosecutors said.
Formal sentencing for Woods is set for Sept. 2.
His 2018 conviction was thrown out after the U.S. Supreme Court declared non-unanimous felony verdicts unconstitutional. District Attorney Paul Connick's office said the jury that convicted Woods after a trial last week took less than 90 minutes Friday to reach its unanimous verdict.
Copyright 2022 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.